Sunday, July 28, 2013

In Pursuit

I was challenged at work this week by my boss; she didn't even know she was doing it.  She shared some experiences that she felt had been encounters with the supernatural, though she likely would not phrase it that way.  I had never thought she took the Christian faith she proclaimed exceptionally seriously.  Maybe she doesn't think she takes it seriously either.  She admits that she has never been one for studying the Word extensively, but that she was more of a hands on, practical-type as far as faith goes.  Honestly, from what she shared with me, I'd say she was on  the right track.  The fruits of the Spirit and of Jesus' character were evident in many of the parts of her life that she opened up to me.



Hearing my boss' stories made me reconsider what I am pursuing in my Christian walk.  I am a part of a community of people who believe that we can experience all the power God promised His children here on earth, even before we "get to heaven."  (I put this in parentheses because views on what this actually means vary...Maybe I'll post about that sometime too.)  I was challenged because she never actively pursued any supernatural experience, but here I am in this radical community and am not yet really experiencing much to speak of as far as the supernatural goes.  (Of course, this is me judging from a human perspective.  Man judges based on outward appearances, but God judges the heart.)  I realized that lately I have become distracted from pursuing Jesus, and only Him, by pursuing experiences in the supernatural.  I have been feeling that I need those experiences to prove the maturity or sincerity of my relationship with Jesus

I want my faith for experiencing miraculous things to be increased by God, but at the same time I don't want to lose track of the true purpose of my life - Jesus Christ.  He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life!  Whether I experience the supernatural or not, I want my focus to be on Him.  He may touch my eyes to see what others can't, or touch my ears to hear what many do not.  He may allow me to walk where others find it impossible to do so.  Or, He may not.  The point is, I want my relationship with Him to go so deep that I never compare myself to others or their experiences, that I pay no mind at all to how my life appears outwardly.  I want to be consumed by Christ, and Christ alone.

No comments: