Thursday, October 3, 2013

Writing Credo of a Modern Day Scribe

My aunt, Joan Lucius, is a phenomenal artist.  She sent me her art credo.  It made me want to cry.  I know it's not poetry, but it's one of the most beautiful poems I have ever read.  I considered asking her if I could share it here, on my blog, but decided it would be better to share this one line instead.
"never believe in anyone else's credo, invent your own"
That's good advice.  I took it:


Writing is an art
requires skill
requires practice
requires thought
requires something transcendent.
Write when it needs to be done
begs to be done
won't allow you to do anything else
but write.
Write about everything
everyone
everywhere
all the time
shamelessly.
Share.
But even if you don't share with anyone
write.
Write letters
essays
poetry
stories
posts
articles
journal entries
lists.
Writers are people who write
not people who have good ideas
not people who want to be published someday
not people who are too busy.
Write.
Write.



No comments: