Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Ode to Kenneth Burke - WD Poetry Challenge

Here is my favourite of the poems written in the last few days of the Poem-a-Day Challenge with Writer's Digest. 

Kenneth Burke
Day 11 - Statement poem

"Ode to Kenneth Burke"

"It's more complicated than that."
He says,
squinting those intelligent eyes,
causing little wrinkles to spread
across his mild face
and broad brow.

"It's not either/or; it's both/and."
Weighing the options
in outstretched hands.
One up, then the other,
then stretching both out toward me.

I say, "Yes."
and "How can it be?"
And yet, I know it is so.

Humanity is mysterious,
paradoxical -
wonderfully dangerous,
tragically beautiful.

Lungs breath in and out, in and out.
Hearts beat and rest, beat and rest.
Minds wake and sleep, wake and sleep.
Souls give and take, give and take.
And we are more than the sum of our parts.

I have also posted poems on Day 12 and today, Day 15, since my last post. Enjoy and get poeming!

No comments: